Menheniot’s Industrial Past

Farming was the main industry of the ancient parish of Menheniot until, in 1843, a road digger near the church exposed a shallow lode of lead ore.

The landowner, Charles Trelawney, granted mining rights to James and Peter Clymo, who had discovered copper in Caradon Hill. Wheal Trelawney was joined in 1845 by Wheal Mary Ann named after the landowner, Miss Mary Ann Pollard, a farmer.

Listen to the Podcast